(852) 2521-1312
Mon - Fri 09:00-17:30
Contact Us

Unmarried Couples & Financial Claims for Children

Legal protection for unmarried couples is just as important as it is for married couples, and we are here to help.

Cohabitation is becoming increasingly common among couples who choose to live together without getting married. However, this decision can lead to a lack of legal protection compared to married couple. Couples who live together without marrying do not enjoy the same legal protection as those who do. Regardless of how long the cohabitants have been living together, cohabitant couples are not recognized as married couples under the law. Thus, cohabitant couples fall outside the scope of the rights enjoyed by married couples. We can help you to avoid potential complications should the relationship break down, by drafting cohabitation agreements and guiding you through the separation process.

With the growing number of unmarried parents in Hong Kong, there has been a surge in discussions concerning the parental status and financial support available for children born out of wedlock. As per the Guardianship of Minors Ordinance, a child born out of wedlock automatically falls under the mother’s parental rights and authority, leaving an unmarried father to seek a court order to acquire some or all of the parental rights in regard to the child. The parent of a child born out of wedlock may also make a claim against the other party for child maintenance


If you are in a civil partnership or living together without being married, your future security may be at risk if your relationship falters, contact us to know what you can do to protect yourself.